[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
www.dhtmlgoodies.com • View topic - Draggable Boxes - Collective effort to enhance it?
Advertisement

Draggable Boxes - Collective effort to enhance it?

Moderators: Calcifer, slothy

Draggable Boxes - Collective effort to enhance it?

Postby airjrdn (Restore) » Wed May 10, 2006 2:31 pm

My goal is to build my own . I love Netvibes, but it's slow, out of my control, and lacks some minor abilities I wish it had.

Utilizing Draggable Boxes...
The base is there - The ability to show RSS feeds in movable boxes
The main enhancement I've got - The ability to save info to a database instead of cookies

Some vital features it lacks are:
1 - weather boxes
2 - favorites/bookmark boxes (with tags)
3 - pop3 box

Additional "nice to have" features would be
4 - multiple "pages"
5 - ability to "clone" a page - give a friend a solid starting point

I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I'm concentrating on.

Would anyone be interested in working on some of these things together? The code I have for saving to/reading from a database work, but it's a little rough around the edges.

You can check out what I have at:
http://www.myownsite.us - using magpie
http://www.myownsite.us/beta - using simplepie
airjrdn (Restore)

Re: Draggable Boxes - Collective effort to enhance it?

Postby figue2barbarie » Wed May 10, 2006 2:57 pm

figue2barbarie

Postby airjrdn (Restore) » Wed May 10, 2006 5:43 pm

airjrdn (Restore)

Postby Batalf » Wed May 10, 2006 10:04 pm

Batalf
Site Admin

Re: Draggable Boxes - Collective effort to enhance it?

Postby george » Wed May 10, 2006 10:39 pm

george

Postby airjrdn (Restore) » Wed May 10, 2006 11:42 pm

airjrdn (Restore)

Postby Josh » Thu May 11, 2006 10:42 pm

If this is something that is goign to be opened to contributions, I'd gladly pitch in too! I have the same time limitations as others here ( 3 kids, fulltime day job, etc.), but with a group of people working on it we should all be able to help each other.

My coding chops are decent (trained as a developer, but have been working as SA for a few years now), or I would gladly help out in any other capacity that may be needed - whatever would benefit the group.

I think the idea of having one cohesive project would be excellent. So many customizations have been created that it would be nice to see them all in one place, maintained as a whole rather than picking around and hoping some outdated snippet will still work on the next release.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, and PM/email is welcome as well.
Josh

Postby airjrdn (Restore) » Thu May 11, 2006 11:46 pm

Since I've got a decent starting point on functionality, I'll get my version uploaded so people can begin tweaking it. Let me make sure I've got all of the necessary files together, clean up a thing or two and I'll upload it.

I'm working on it right now, so it shouldn't be too long.
airjrdn (Restore)

Postby airjrdn (Restore) » Fri May 12, 2006 3:06 am

Update - I had to do some things, but I'm back on it. I'm having a couple of issues, but I hope to get them worked out soon.
airjrdn (Restore)

Postby Josh » Fri May 12, 2006 3:33 am

Great! Looking forward to seeing your work.
Josh

Postby airjrdn (Restore) » Fri May 12, 2006 3:48 am

Here it is, I ended up not getting most of the cleanup done due to my lack of javascript/php knowledge.

http://www.themintonfamily.com/misc/enh ... _boxes.zip

It uses a login script I found to setup a user in the database. To create a new user, just click Login, then Join.

The database info (user/pass/db) is in multiple files and needs to be combined into an include file.

The table design really needs to be enhanced as well. Right now, it messes with things if you try to use the same feed twice. That needs to be fixed. The code currently does compares on username, etc. as opposed to using identity columns.

A couple caveats here...I'd done most of the coding at work on breaks, so it's not very solid or pretty. In addition to that, pretty much everything I need to do, I have to search for HowTo's on since I'm not a mysql/php dev.

Again, I'd like to apologize in advance for the condition of the code. I'm *well* aware that it's pretty sad, but I just haven't had the time to dig in and learn enough to fix things.
airjrdn (Restore)

Postby airjrdn (Restore) » Fri May 12, 2006 3:54 pm

airjrdn (Restore)

Postby Josh » Fri May 12, 2006 4:42 pm

Josh

Postby airjrdn (Restore) » Fri May 12, 2006 5:34 pm

airjrdn (Restore)

I like to join

Postby peter » Fri May 12, 2006 9:21 pm

peter

Next

Return to Drag and drop scripts