[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
www.dhtmlgoodies.com • View topic - Why not relying on Prototype ?
Advertisement

Why not relying on Prototype ?

Moderators: Calcifer, slothy

Why not relying on Prototype ?

Postby gdelamarre » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:07 pm

Hi all,

naturally, this question is essentially concerning Batalf himself :)

Before starting what looks like a troll : i know, i have already ask Alf on that point.

But i think it could be really great for the Suite to use such a wonderfull library.

I know Alf that you have already rewritten some of the features provided by Prototype, but many other lack. I think that using Prototype could help more developpers to help you making the Suite evolve.

That's all ; now, let's troll !! :)
gdelamarre

Postby Batalf » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:13 pm

Batalf
Site Admin

Postby gdelamarre » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:26 am

hi Alf,

i'm really sorry to answer so late, but i have many many things to do these times :(

So, about Prototype... You asked me why am i using it. The answer is quite simple : to win a lot of time, and a lot of code clarity (? not sure of the word to use ;)). In a word, it eases a lot javascript coding.

For a brief example, take a look at and try to do the same thing without prototype ;)

Seriously, Prototype is a really well-coded library letting you perform javascript action (for Ajax, DOM access, Array manipulation, etc.) in a significantly quickest way than using core javascripts functions.

As you saw, Protoype can conflicts with your code, sometimes, due to the changing it performs on core Javascripts functions. That's one more reason, for me, to use it instead of addressing conflicts. Since many of the DHTL Suite users will be interested using Prototype, you will encounter more and more conflicts i think.

And overall, you and all people interested in the development of the suite will take advantage on using this library, because they all will use a documented and already well-known library.

If you have not already done, take a look at and . These to sites should show you sufficient proofing examples of my tellings :)
gdelamarre

Postby mwaschkowski » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:22 pm

I second that, prototype is widely used, and makes AJAX programming simpler. Scriptaculous relies on it, and some other javascript frameworks as well. It also builds in some convenience methods, although Mochikit does a really great job there too (Mochikit's event handling is the best).

Cheers,

Mark
mwaschkowski

Postby kgregg » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:21 pm

I use and include prototype in my app and have run into no compatibility issues. I use it mostly for the Form functions.

I also use LiveGrid from the Rico project and one of the problems I saw with Rico was when someone needed to upgrade prototype in order to use one library only to find Rico had problems with the new prototype. So, there can be some headaches involved.

Although Alf does a MUCH better job of upgrade and support than the Rico developers.
kgregg

Postby Batalf » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:11 pm

I will probably use an external library in the DHTML Suite soon.

I studied Yahoos DOM helpers yesterday after reading Marks post and I liked what I saw :)

I may replace my getLeftPos, getTopPos++ methods in one of the following of the DHTML Suite with calls the this YUI library. As mentioned, I also liked a lot of what I saw in prototype, but I have to admit that I got a bit scared when my for-in loops stopped working.

Before, I make my decision, I need to study Mochikit and some other libraries. This is very important for the DHTML Suite, and I need to find the library I'm most comfortable with.

I'm very thankful for the insights you have given me on this.
Batalf
Site Admin

Return to General questions